I read it has a BSD license, but OS is Debian.

From: Don Ely [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:18 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Network monitoring tools

I'm DLing the VM.  I believe I read in the docs in can be installed on the
BSD's though...

On Jan 9, 2008 5:16 PM, Kurt Buff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Looks really dang cool.

No port for FreeBSD, though. Looks like the missing bit is spade.

Doesn't look as if any of the BSDs have it.

Well, I'm downloading the install ISO - I wonder what OS it installs.

On Jan 9, 2008 3:57 PM, Don Ely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Go have a look at OSSIM...  ;o)  It has EVERYTHING
>

> On Jan 9, 2008 3:54 PM, Kurt Buff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Another good tool for this kinda thing is ntop, but it must be
> > positioned correctly - you will most likely need a SPAN/mirror port in
> > your infrastructure, or else use the netflow or sflow plugins to get
> > reports from your routers/switches.
> >
> > Either way, it's extremely useful, as it doesn't merely measure
> > packets in/out of interfaces, it actually categorizes packets and
> > keeps track of top talkers, etc.
> >
> > Excellent for tracking down who is downloading that huge iso file, and
> > where it's coming from. Lets you ask more pointed questions, if
> > nothing else.
> >
> > Differentiates between tcp/udp/etc., and puts up some nice RRD graphics.
> >
> > Kurt
> >

> > On Jan 9, 2008 2:28 PM, Joe Heaton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >

> > > I know we have these discussions every couple of months at least, but
> here
> > > goes:
> > >

> > > What are you guys using to monitor your networks so that you have an
> answer
> > > to the age-old user question of:
> > >

> > > "Why is everything running so slow?"
> > >

> > > I'm thinking of bandwidth usage first off, which I'm thinking PRTG to
> > > monitor that.
> > >

> > > I guess I could run a Wireshark capture, to see if there's a massive
> spike
> > > in weird packets.
> > >

> > > Anything else that you guys could suggest?  I know someone had mentioned
> > > they use Nagios, but that would require me to setup a Linux box first,
> which
> > > isn't that big a deal, other than piecing a box together...
> > >

> > > Any other ideas?
> > >

> > > I'd like to do this without a lot of cost if possible, just because I
> hate
> >

> > > spending money...
> > >

> > ~ Upgrade to Next Generation Antispam/Antivirus with Ninja!    ~
> > ~ < http://www.sunbelt-software.com/SunbeltMessagingNinja.cfm >  ~

~ < http://www.sunbelt-software.com/SunbeltMessagingNinja.cfm
<http://www.sunbelt-software.com/SunbeltMessagingNinja.cfm> >  ~

***
The information in this e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you have received this e-mail
in error please notify the sender by return e-mail delete this e-mail and
refrain from any disclosure or action based on the information.
***