Thanks for the info Ben. When I have the time, I planned on looking for
alternate solutions to Vonage. My call quality and stability hadn't been
good since I made the switch over a year ago. Your options look compelling.

On Friday, July 29, 2011, Ben Serebin <b...@reefsolutions.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>

>                 I know this is old, but wanted to share in case it helps
someone (I spent a few months determining my options and testing different
solutions). I recently dropped Vonage after about 9 yrs for my home setup
and switched to a significantly cheaper and more flexible solution. Vonage
is too expensive (~$37/month) & I didn’t need all their crazy features since
it needed to be “wife friendly” (non-tech) & support a standard 2 line
Panasonic cordless phone. And more importantly their pricing over the last
few years included double digit pricing increases for “taxes & surcharges”.
I also have a Google Voice I wanted to incorporate. 2 options…

> -          Get a OBiTalk (hardware) which allows you to dial out/in via an
analog or IP phone via a SIP provider or Google Voice (supports 2 SIP or
phone line options or combination). Yes, your grandmother’s analog phone
(needs touch tone, sorry no pulse) could be dialing out for FREE via Google
Voice. http://www.obihai.com/ The folks behind OBiTalk use to work for
Cisco, there hardware is rock solid stable. Very user friendly for non-VoIP
people.

> -          Use a SIP provider (I like voip.ms) since it’s very cheap and
has EVERY feature you could dream of. Spoofed calling (my SPA has 6 caller
ID profiles), Asterisk support, phone trees, e911 or no e911 to save the
money. If you’re really smart & thrifty, you get e911 on 1 line and none on
line 2 and do call routing when someone dials 911. You can get almost
unlimited national for $4.95 INCLUDING ALL TAXES & SURCHARGES. And it’s 6
sec billing. E911 is $1.50 extra a month. You can port #’s over (adds $2 a
month), etc. I love these guys. I have extra DIDs for $0.99 a month. It’s
mind blowing.

> FYI: I have an OBi110 (it’s so popular – people scalp them) & a Cisco
SPA509G IP phone.

> Enjoy,
>
> -Ben

new insulation, soundproofing, and drywall, my cell phone no longer works
down there!  Oops :-\

> Considering how much I telecommute, I need to get some sort of landline
installed.  VOIP/SIP/Digital through Comcast, I’m considering it all.  But,
I’m not too well versed on the options avail.  I still support an old PBX at
our office, and built a SIP fax service/server, but my telco experience is
pretty limited outside of that.  I’d like to avoid Comcast (Personal reasons
and I often cancel it and go through our Municipal WiFi).

> Any suggestions you guys have off the top of your head?  A good service
that sticks out that you would like to plug?

> Something that incorporated with Google Voice would be a plus… (Not sure
anything does).  I do use the new Sprint/Google Voice offering, so I can
mask the new number with my Sprint number, and I can easily have my Sprint
number ring the new number too.