Don't discount the ability to view portrait.  2 22" monitors 1680x1050, and
one I have in portrait mode.  At 1050x1680 resolution, websurfing and
viewing documents a standard letter sized page at a time (in Word, Acrobat,
whatever) work really well.
So monitors on stands that allow rotation are an important consideration.
Almost everyone in our tax department has one of their external[1] monitors
rotated for portrait viewing.  Two have both external monitors arranged for
portrait viewing.

[1]Our staff have notebooks, we used eVGA UV+ to get the third monitor
working, and they work really well, in our experience.  I wouldn't trust it
for gaming, though.