I would suggest modifying your naming convention.

First 17 letters of users last name
Sequence number if required
First initial
Last initial

So for example

John Robert MacGhilleseatheanaich

Would be:

MacGhilleseatheanJR

And

John Richard MacGhilleseatheanaich

Would be:

 MacGhilleseathean2JR

Chris Bodnar, MCSE, MCITP
Technical Support III
Distributed Systems Service Delivery - Intel Services
Guardian Life Insurance Company of America
Email: christopher_bod...@glic.com
Phone: 610-807-6459
Fax: 610-807-6003

From:   Miller Bonnie L. <mille...@mukilteo.wednet.edu>
To:     "NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Date:   09/08/2011 03:42 PM
Subject:        Username issue

We have our first username that is 21 characters long (scheme is last
name, first init, mid init).  But, we’re suddenly finding there are some
problems with this as the sAMAccountName maxes out at 20 characters, while
the userprincipalname can be longer (in this case 21@internaldomainname).

Is there any way around the problem, short of cropping/trunking the names
or folders back to 20?  That is what we’re going to do for now with this
one, but I’m wondering if anyone else has run into this and found a
solution that allows them to use an over-20 name length.

The main problem I’m seeing is that our GPO Folder redirection and GPP
drive mappings in AD reference the variable %username%.  That variable
seems to resolve to the 20 character sAMAccountName, even if the person
logs on using the userprincipalname, so resources don’t connect.  We also
have a third-party app that looks at the sAMAccountName to generate
folders with matching names and permissions, and it can’t match it up
correctly—that could probably be modified, but I’m not sure what could be
used in a generic path for a GP other than %username%?

Reading some things about functional level, but our forest and the domain
in question are WS08 R2, so we’re not operating in Pre-Win2k mode.  I’m
guessing it’s probably just something we will have to live with.

Thanks,
-Bonnie

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the
message and any attachments.  Thank you.