From: Christopher Bodnar [mailto:christopher_bod...@glic.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 12:56 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Cc: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Username issue

I would suggest modifying your naming convention.

First 17 letters of users last name
Sequence number if required
First initial
Last initial

So for example

John Robert MacGhilleseatheanaich

Would be:

MacGhilleseatheanJR

And

John Richard MacGhilleseatheanaich

Would be:

 MacGhilleseathean2JR

Chris Bodnar, MCSE, MCITP
Technical Support III
Distributed Systems Service Delivery - Intel Services
Guardian Life Insurance Company of America
Email: christopher_bod...@glic.com
Phone: 610-807-6459
Fax: 610-807-6003

From:        Miller Bonnie L. <mille...@mukilteo.wednet.edu>
To:        "NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Date:        09/08/2011 03:42 PM
Subject:        Username issue
________________________________

We have our first username that is 21 characters long (scheme is last name,
first init, mid init).  But, we’re suddenly finding there are some problems
with this as the sAMAccountName maxes out at 20 characters, while the
userprincipalname can be longer (in this case 21@internaldomainname).

Is there any way around the problem, short of cropping/trunking the names or
folders back to 20?  That is what we’re going to do for now with this one, but
I’m wondering if anyone else has run into this and found a solution that allows
them to use an over-20 name length.

The main problem I’m seeing is that our GPO Folder redirection and GPP drive
mappings in AD reference the variable %username%.  That variable seems to
resolve to the 20 character sAMAccountName, even if the person logs on using
the userprincipalname, so resources don’t connect.  We also have a third-party
app that looks at the sAMAccountName to generate folders with matching names
and permissions, and it can’t match it up correctly—that could probably be
modified, but I’m not sure what could be used in a generic path for a GP other
than %username%?

Reading some things about functional level, but our forest and the domain in
question are WS08 R2, so we’re not operating in Pre-Win2k mode.  I’m guessing
it’s probably just something we will have to live with.

Thanks,
-Bonnie

or send an email to

----------------------------------------- This message, and any attachments to
it, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or communication of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.

or send an email to