I finally found the article or one that looked like it anyway.

Medical records from the University of California – San Francisco Medical
Center that had been sent to Pakistan for transcription were nearly

made public when a Pakistni transcriber threatened to post them on the
Internet. Lubna Baloch, the transcriber

was hired by a Texan

subcontractor, Tom Spires of Tutranscribe. Spires was himself a
subcontractor for Sonya Newburn, of Florida, who subcontracted work

from Transcription Stat, a California company that handled a portion of
UCSF’s transcription work. Claiming that Spires had not paid her

correctly, Baloch sent an email to UCSF containing patient medical files and
a threat to post them if she was not compensated. Although

Baloch ultimately agreed not to post the records, UCSF could not confirm
that she had destroyed them. The American Association for Medical

Transcription, an industry group, estimates that about 10 percent of U.S.
medical transcription is done abroad, where U.S. privacy laws are

virtually unenforceable (D. Lazurus, “A Tough Lesson on Medical Privacy:
Pakistani Transcriber Threatens UCSF over Back Pay,” San Francisco

Chronicle, October 22, 2003, p. A1).

I can't now remember where I read it, but I am pretty sure this was the one
I was thinking of.

Jon