I tend to agree with what I think you're saying. But, the original question was
whether adding an alt-char to your password would make you safer and/or your
password harder to crack. I think the answer to this is "absolutely".

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Kradel [mailto:skra...@zetetic.net]
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2011 3:00 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: password questions

IMO all this business about rainbow tables for finding hash value collisions
is, or will soon be, highly obsolete.  A properly designed password system
should use both (a) enough salt bits to render rainbow tables impractical, and
(b) a computationally expensive, variable workload hashing algorithm.  If your
password-based security system doesn't do this, or have some other safeguard
like lockout windows, it is just straight-up weak.

Now, whether you are writing a program to try to break into an account through
the front door (regular credential challenge) or back door (find a collision on
a swiped hash)...  Are you going to iterate exhaustively through the entire
Unicode BMP, or are you going to start with a list of the 1,000,000 most common
passwords and various permutations based on what you know about the account
owner's culture?
 Bearing in mind there are thousands upon thousands of valid characters, and
each additional character you decide to include in your brute force break-in
attempt dramatically increases your time and cost... going for "total coverage"
is almost certainly *not* going to be your strategy.

--Steve