On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Jacob <ja...@excaliburfilms.com> wrote:
> 1. Mix up the password with uppercase, lowercase, numbers and special
> characters.

  It is arguably more effective to use a longer password with a
simpler scheme than a shorter password with a complicated scheme.
They yield equivalent keyspace sizes, but the simpler scheme is easier
for humans to remember, and for various reasons, shorter passwords are
often tried first in a brute-force or similar attack.

> 2.       Change all your passwords every 3 months ...

  What's the justification for changing it every 3 months?  That is,
what's the attack scenario you're countering?

  I can't think of many scenarios where such a short time frame
justifies the cost (assuming one has a good password to begin with).

> 4.       Do not write down your password ...

  Writing down a password *in a secure location* is a *much* better
choice than using a weak(er) password.  A sticky note on your monitor,
bulletin board, or under your keyboard is definitely not a secure
location.  A card in your wallet or purse is probably not a secure
location.  But a list locked in a fire safe prolly counts for most
personal usage.  Or an electronic password manager, if you can trust
the system (most lay people, I would advise against it).

  Agreed otherwise, especially the parts about phishing.  I always
forget to mention that if I'm not working from notes.

-- Ben