From: Paul Hutchings [mailto:paul.hutchi...@mira.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:01 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Upgrading Windows in-place - your experiences?

I haven't upgraded a Windows Server install for years now as typically
with physical boxes the box gets replaced after a three year period so
the OS is rebuilt/refreshed.

Virtualisation has changed that somewhat as we now have VM's with a
potentially infinite "physical" life, and as a result I have quite a few
that are still running Windows 2003.

I may rebuild them all with 2008 R2 which also solves the fact that
right now they're 32bit, but what are peoples experiences of upgrading
Windows in-place?

As I said I've not had to do so for years now so I'm out of touch with
how good/bad of an experience it is these days? The one potentially nice
thing is that other than any third-party apps, the VM's are about as
clean as you can get, no HP PSP or suchlike to have to deal with.

I should add we're talking small role-specific VM's here, nothing crazy
like Exchange.

Thanks,

Paul

MIRA Ltd

Watling Street, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 0TU, England

Registered in England and Wales No. 402570

VAT Registration  GB 100 1464 84

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the use
of the intended recipient.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please
delete it and notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax.  You should
not copy, forward or otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as
this is prohibited.