On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 1:27 AM, David Lum <david....@nwea.org> wrote:
> I figured I’d create a RAID5 volume and point SQL over to this new drive
> array and performance should be much improved ...

  You generally don't want database log files on a RAID5 array.
Additionally, most cheaper RAID cards (i.e., anything that costs less
than several hundred dollars) don't have good RAID5 performance.
(Some of them are downright awful.)  Given how big today's disks are,
and the small size of the system, I'd go with mirrored disks for
everything.

> Is there any way to put the existing SATA array on a different card (say, a
> PCIe
> 1x SATA RAID card) without having to rebuild the volumes?

  Moving RAIDed disks to new RAID cards is tricky at best.  That said,
if you stay within the same card manufacturer, it is usually possible.
 I would look to replace the existing RAID card with something with
enough ports for both the inside disks and the external disks

  I don't think putting disk I/O on a PCIe 1x slot is a good idea, so
I'd stay on the PCIe 4x slot.

  AFAIK, all of Dell's RAID cards are rebadged LSI Logic MegaRAID
cards, so if Dell doesn't sell a suitable card, you might be able to
switch to something from them.

  Finally: What's the cost of this project vs the cost of just getting
a new server and moving the existing software to that?

-- Ben