From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:27 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: CSVDE is killing me

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Brian Desmond <br...@briandesmond.com> wrote:
>> Turns out tab delimited is an undocumented (not in adfind advanced
>> help /??) "\t" switch.
>
> \t is the control code for a tab. If all you're doing is
> passing-csvdelim "\t", then I'd say it's perfectly documented.

  Well, the documentation for the "-csvdelim" just says "Delimiter to use for
separating attributes in CSV output, default (,)."  I don't find any discussion
of control character syntax; the docs never mention that backslash has any
special meaning.  "\t" is by no means universal or automatic; programs have to
implement it explicitly.  The user has no way of knowing that.  Other syntax
might be used (^T for example), or none at all.

  However, six lines previous in the documentation, this is given:

        -jtsv         Combines -csv -csvdelim \t -csvmvdelim |

  So it gets used in an example.  But you'd have to know to go to look for it,
or happen to notice it, or read every single line, to know that "\t" means
something special.  And we still don't know if, say, "\n" or "\f" might also be
interpreted specially.

  So I wouldn't call it "undocumented", but I wouldn't call it "perfectly
documented", either.  :)

(Reference: http://www.joeware.net/freetools/tools/adfind/usage.htm)

-- Ben