We use Veeam 5.0 right now and have been pretty happy with it. The restoring
of Exchange with the virtual lab has been a little pain point for us, so we
ended up getting ontrack, and simply mount the edb and pull out what we need
the few times that was required.

We run Veeam as a virtual appliance in our vm cluster and output to a
Windows SMB share (we had this as a SAN and found better performance going
over SMB instead of iSCSI). We have de-duplication on the Veeam side set to
optimal, and we have backup to LAN Target.

There are ways to set it up to do incremental, reverse incrementals etc . it
took us a few tries to get it right but now we backup about 2TB of data in a
few hours , and then on Sundays the backups merge. We keep 15 backup points,
and so far this has worked well.

We also do replication to a backup SATA SAN every 4 hours, and this works
okay as well. It took some tweaking too because the backups would run @ the
same time as replication so we would get skipped vms due to snapshot in
place. There isnt an option to skip replication jobs, for example every
4hours but not from 8pm-12am . so our normal backups could run, but we have
it all timed out nicely now.

One last thing, Veeam 5.0 had some issues with Vcenter 5, and ESXi5 when
formatted out to VMFS-5 volumes. I think 6 just came out, or is coming out
which is supposed to address this issue, but we run VC5 and 6 ESXi5 boxes
now on VMFS-3 still and things are working fine.