From: Bob Hartung [mailto:bhart...@wiscoind.com]
Sent: January-12-12 12:26 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: PC that can't Google

Interesting. Originally I searched for "hosts" on the C Drive and nothing
showed up. Now I've navigated to "windows\system32\drivers\etc, there's the
"hosts" file. I can open it and it looks like the default hosts files with one
exception, the last line is

     ::1

I tried to edit this out but was denied even though I'm logged in as the local
administrator.

I went to the command prompt and ran attrib on it and it show as an SHR.
Checking another PC and normally this file doesn't have these attributes. I
tried to change the attributes but still no luck.

Finally, I tried renaming the hosts files to hosts.junk and that worked. Go
figure. Then I copied a default hosts file from a different PC and that enabled
Google.com.

I don't have a clue as to why this fixed the problem.

Bob Hartung
Dir of I.T.
Wisco Industries, Inc.
736 Janesville St.