From: Micheal Espinola Jr [mailto:michealespin...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:56 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: PC that can't Google

Some [possibly] easy no-touch cleanup:

Reset Hosts File: MicrosoftFixit50267.msi

Reset Internet Explorer Settings: MicrosoftFixit50195.msi

Reset TCP/IP: MicrosoftFixit50199.msi

Reset Winsock: MicrosoftFixit50203.msi

Run them quietly ala:

msiexec /i <msi file> /quiet /passive /norestart

Restart afterward.

--
Espi

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Bob Hartung <bhart...@wiscoind.com> wrote:

One of our VPs brought in his company-supplied home PC (Dell Optiplex WinXP
Pro SP3). Said it was slow and something had changed his home page and he
couldn't change it back. He also said he couldn't access Google.

His home page had been taken over by My Web Search. I checked the Vipre
quarantine and parts of My Web Search had been removed so I could uninstall
it. I ran a Vipre deep scan and installed the latest version of Malwarebytes
and ran its deep scan as well. It detected a number of registry My Web
Search entries.

Everything seemed to be running smoothly and much quicker after the scanning
and deleting. My Web Search was gone but the Google problem persists. Using
either Firefox or IE, you can access any website with out problem accept
Google.com. At the command prompt, you can ping or tracert any website and
it will resolve the name to it's IP address, accept Google.com. Google.com
just times out with the error that the host name could not be found. I've
checked there is no lmhost file. I've also ran ipconfig

The PC is attached to our work network and through DHCP has picked up our
standard DNS server to use. Everyone else can get to Google.com.

What else could be interfering on just the Google.com name?

Bob Hartung
Dir of I.T.
Wisco Industries, Inc.
736 Janesville St.
Oregon, WI 53575
Tel: (608) 835-3106 x215 <tel:%28608%29%20835-3106%20x215>
Fax: (608) 835-7399 <tel:%28608%29%20835-7399>
e-mail: bhartung(at)wiscoind.com