*>>  Remember when Microsoft had nearly taken over the browser world?
 We sat on IE 6 for *years* and *years*.*

My point being that although the underpinnings were open standards, HTML
included, that didn't afford any automatic advantage.

A proprietary plug-in doesn't prevent competition with other standards or
plug-ins, so I'll have to disagree with your assertion that "proprietary =
bad" under the discussed scenario.

A bad implementation is a bad implementation independent of the openness or
proprietaryness of the thing involved.  Sure, if we're dealing with open
source, then there's the theoretical option to fix the broken/bad
implementation, but in practice, someone else just develops a competing app
and/or protocol, and people move to that instead.

*Case in point*: For many years, Sendmail was routinely chastised for being
buggy and insecure, and the apparent solution was to create other MTAs like
qmail, postfix, etc.   Fixing sendmail (which eventually happened) was not
nearly the primary approach taken.

* *

*ASB* *http://XeeMe.com/AndrewBaker* *Harnessing the Advantages of
Technology for the SMB market…