From: Jay Kulsh [mailto:jayku...@csi.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 1:39 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Microsoft VM - 5 ways of backing up?

After reading numerous articles, it seems to me that there may be 5 ways of
backing up a Microsoft VM:

1. Doing an on-line backup using a VSS-aware software like Microsoft's SCVMM or
Altaro, etc.

2. Doing an on-line backup from the host machine, of all VMs, of all critical
disks, using built-in WBadmin. (Many conditions must be met for this to work,
but they are doable in most cases.)

3. Saving the VM (not quite stopping it, but neither is VM on-line; perhaps we
can think that VM is in sleep mode.)

4. Exporting a VM after stopping it.

5. Copying VHD file (along with XML & BIN files?) after stopping it.

Where am I wrong here? May be some of these methods should not be characterized
as backups. Of the valid methods, which is most reliable and which is most easy
to accomplish? Thanks.

Jay Kulsh
So. Pasadena, CA 93063