If you have moved to 2008 R2 the backup is pretty great.  We have some
scheduled straight out of the GUI Interface, and Many scheduled with command
line and task scheduler.  The Command line is more flexible and you can setup
up multiple instances, where the GUI is limited to only one job.  We backup
most of our VM's to onsite and offsite storage weekly.  Once you set them up
just check in once in a while and make sure that are no errors like space
issues you are good.  There are also many software vendors that have a
solution, but I have not tried them yet.