On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 07:57, Ben Scott <mailvor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 1:14 AM, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  Find out what other ways can you use it (other than iSCSI), and what
>>> the limits are then.  That information may be helpful.
>>
>> It does SAN, but I quite leery about it.
>
>  (I assume you mean SMB.)

Sorry - meant NAS, so yes, SMB/CIFS - fingers move quicker than the brain...

> They've given you reason to be leery.
> But, for investigation purposes, trying out other modes of operation
> might give insight into this problem, if nothing else.  If this was
> pre-sales I'd recommend just crossing them off the list, but I presume
> you're stuck with the thing now, and have to make it work as best you
> can.

There may be a workaround, by chaining together some LUNs (perhaps in
Windows, too), but that seems like a fugly hack to me.

>> And, that's part of the reason I asked - if this unit's bigger
>> brethren can handle studly GPT volumes as well as Win2k3 can, then
>> it's truly a bad decision to hold back on it for market
>> differentiation.
>
>  Your company bought it anyway, so maybe not.

And I'm bitching about it on a list that is widely read, and where I
have a modicum of respect afforded my opinions, so I'll hold fast to
my thought on that...

Kurt