On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Kennedy, Jim
<kennedy...@elyriaschools.org> wrote:
> did anyone have any ideas how to skin this cat

  I didn't ask on dns-ops because I suspect their answer would be the
same as mine: DNS isn't the place to try and solve this problem.

> Bottom line is I need to CNAME www.google.com to nosslsearch.google.com

  No, bottom line is, you need to control web access.  Look beyond the
technique (DNS) and refocus on your goal (controlling web access).

> I am even open to putting up another DNS server that can CNAME this
> record and fall over to root for the rest of google...then direct my
> AD DNS to that on a conditional forwarder.

  You might be able to do this, but I suspect it's going to be easy to
get around (bare IP addresses, "hosts" files, etc.).  So I'm wary of
investing effort into a technique that won't be very effective, and
thus just lead back to the same problem again.

> Get search off SSL so the filter can append the request with
> safe search mode.

  You keep mentioning your filter.  Start there.  What can it do?  How
does it work?  What is it, for that matter?  :)

  You mentioned contacting the filter vendor.  I'd say that should be
your first strategy.  Only if you're sure they can't do it should you
start looking elsewhere.  You've got one product already, try that
first.

  Be sure you're giving the vendor the right request.  Again, focus on
the goal, not the technique.  Don't ask, "Can I rewrite DNS answers?"
Instead, start with the real problem: "HTTPS to web search engines
bypasses the web filter.  What can I do to counter that?"  If they
don't have a good answer for the general case, get slightly more
specific: "I want to block HTTPS to <www.google.com.>."  Don't go down
the DNS; that's not really your goal.

  If it's an HTTP proxy and all your web browsing is going through it,
it should be very easy to block any CONNECT method to
<www.google.com.>.  (If not, it's not a very good filter.)

  If I had do this and I didn't have any other product, I'd prolly
start with the Squid HTTP proxy.  Blocking this particular situation
(HTTPS to <www.google.com.>) would be trivial.

-- Ben