From: Richard McClary [mailto:richard.mccl...@aspca.org]
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 08:09 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Subject: VMWare tools

Greetings!

Why is it that on some VMWare VM’s, VMTools will not install?  I can find no
errors nor any consistency.

Locally, we are currently running ESX 3.5.  I see the failure for VMTools to
install on some Windows 2003 machines.  On others, created at about the same
time (within a day or two), VMTools installs on them quickly with no issues.

Several weeks back, I created my first Windows 2008 server on an ESX 4.1
system.  In vCenter, I gave the command to install VMTools.  Only recently did
I log back into that particular VMWare environment.  I happened to check on the
server I had created.  In vCenter, “Summary�, it shows that VMTools were not
installed.

In vCenter, clicking that VM, then “Guest�, I see I have only the option to
cancel the installation.  (Likewise on the ESX 3.5 VM’s on which VMTools would
not install.)

Again, anybody know why VMTools simply will not install on some VM’s?
--
Richard D. McClary
Jr Infrastructure Architect, Information Technology Group

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is from
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) and is
intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally
privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail, and any
attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the
original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.

or send an email to

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: The information transmitted, or contained or
attached to or with this Notice is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain Protected Health Information (PHI),
confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission,
dissemination, or other use of, and taking any action in reliance upon this
information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient without
the express written consent of the sender are prohibited. This information may
be protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
(HIPAA), and other Federal and Florida laws. Improper or unauthorized use or
disclosure of this information could result in civil and/or criminal penalties.
Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need
to.

This email and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the
intended recipient(s). If you are not the named recipient you should not read,
distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions expressed in this
email are those of the author and do not represent those of the company.
Warning: Although precautions have been taken to make sure no viruses are
present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or
damage that arise from the use of this email or attachments.