On Jan 28, 2008 10:27 AM, Ara Avvali <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I guess there is a 4096 byte limitation in length ...

  It depends on the version of Windows.  I think NT4 had something
stupid like 80 characters.  Microsoft keeps making it bigger with each
successive release.  You'd think they'd take the hint and use dynamic
allocation, but.... ~shrug~

http://catb.org/jargon/html/C/C-Programmers-Disease.html

> ... isn't it smart enough to automatically scan subfolders?

  No.

On Jan 28, 2008 11:18 AM, Ara Avvali <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Then I copied all files to c:\drivers and point the sysprerp to
> it. Basically no more folder structure, everything runs from root folder.

  You can do that, and sometimes it even works.  However, sometimes
different drivers include a file of the same name but different
contents, so everything-in-one-folder doesn't always work.  Also, one
occasionally runs into situations where certain hardware needs certain
drivers/revisions, or is allergic to same.  By using different folders
for each driver, one can just specify different "answer files" and use
one driver distribution tree.  If you're targeting a single machine
type, these are less of a concern.  But for our RIS tree, it's a big
help.

-- Ben