I wouldn't consider it an illegal copy. Perhaps it is in violation of an unenforcable portion of the eula. note: I am not a lawyer and do not play one on television. I could have finished the uninstall of the SBS server, but that process, while technically makes it a standalone server breaks things enough that you would want to rebuild it. So, I just stopped before the migration broke the server. During the MS documented migration process, MS instructs you to remove A/D, sbcore etc and leaves you with a 2003 std server. I just happen to have the 2003 server, but sbcore still there.

Jonathan Link wrote:
Kinda what I thought, might be a technical licensing violation...

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM, David Lum <david....@nwea.org <mailto:david....@nwea.org>> wrote:

    Doesn't that make it an illegal copy?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Bill Humphries [mailto:nt...@hedgedigger.com
    <mailto:nt...@hedgedigger.com>]
    Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:38 PM
    To: NT System Admin Issues
    Subject: Re: My SBS swing brag

    I just did one but just used the MS docs.  I didn't actually go
    all the way with it.  Got most everything migrated then broke the
    sbcore.exe service on the SBS2003 machine so I could leave the old
    machine up and not move all the printers, scan to SMB folders, and
    antivirus software.
    The machine was still good for those light duty activities and it
    simplified everything and saved the client some money.

    Bill

    Jonathan Link wrote:
    > Not by much.  I used the SBSMigration swing kit to swing to new
    > hardware a while back.  I could've done everything in it manually,
    > certainly.  The ~$200 for me was well worth it to put all the pieces
    > of information together in one spot.  Saying I used this tool
    for this
    > reason and then how you used it is an entirely reasonable topic to
    > blog about.
    >
    > Yes, all the information out there is freely available.  Is it worth
    > spending some money to 1) put it all in one place and 2) highlight
    > some common points of trouble[1].
    >
    > [1] I had one of those common points of trouble.  It was nice having
    > something in hand instead of googling for it hoping someone else had
    > tread the path I was walking...
    >
    > On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM, David Lum <david....@nwea.org
    <mailto:david....@nwea.org>
    > <mailto:david....@nwea.org <mailto:david....@nwea.org>>> wrote:
    >
    >     Sure, but it would look a lot like this:
    >

    >     Step 1: Buy a kit from SBSMigration.com
    >
    >     Step 2: The end
    >

    >     That _/might/_ be oversimplifying it J
    >

    >     Dave

    client from
    >     SBS2003 to SBS2011 this weekend, went off with exactly one
    caveat:
    >     iPhone users had to delete, reboot, then recreate the Exchange
    >     accounts on their phones. That was it! Needless to say the
    client
    >     is very happy, and most employee's hardly noticed a thing (other
    >     than I was onsite all day yesterday, which had never happened
    >     before ;-).
    >

    >     Convert everyone from Exchange 2003->Exchange 2010: Check
    >     Convert domain controller to SBS2011 (aka2008R2): Check
    >     Convert LexisNexis application from SQL2005 - SQL2008R2: Check
    >     <Upgrade from PracticeAdvantage 10 to PA 11: Check!>
    >
    >     Move printers from 2003 32-bit server to SBS2011 64-bit server:
    >     check (this went easier than expected)
    >     Recreate shared folders and perms: check
    >     Copy all data to new server (did you know there's a utility for
    >     2008 R2 to restore from .BKF files?): Check
    >     Reconfig home directories from share-per-user to single
    >     share/ABE/SBS2011 default locations: Check
    >

    >     Worthy to note that SBS2011 really encourages you (er, me)
    to not
    >     treat SBS like just a small domain with Exchange. Pretty
    slick OS too.

    >     I could NOT have done it without the SBSSwing kit, there are so
    >     many little things that Jeff's team has figured out. I don't
    have
    >     any current certs, but I passed that test! W00t!
    >
    >     *David Lum*
    >
    >     Systems Engineer // NWEA^TM
    >     Office 503.548.5229 <tel:503.548.5229> <tel:503.548.5229
    <tel:503.548.5229>> //* *Cell (voice/text)
    >     503.267.9764 <tel:503.267.9764> <tel:503.267.9764
    <tel:503.267.9764>>

    >     ~ Finally, powerful endpoint security that ISN'T a resource
    hog! ~

    >     ~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/>  ~
    >
    >     ---
    >     To manage subscriptions click here:
    >     http://lyris.sunbelt-software.com/read/my_forums/
    >     or send an email to listmana...@lyris.sunbeltsoftware.com
    <mailto:listmana...@lyris.sunbeltsoftware.com>
    >     <mailto:listmana...@lyris.sunbeltsoftware.com
    <mailto:listmana...@lyris.sunbeltsoftware.com>>
    >     with the body: unsubscribe ntsysadmin
    >

    >     --
    >     "On two occasions...I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you
    >     put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come
    >     out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
    confusion of
    >     ideas that could provoke such a question."
    >
    >     ****** IMPORTANT INFORMATION/DISCLAIMER *****
    >
    >     This document should be read only by those persons to whom it is
    >     addressed. If you have received this message it was obviously
    >     addressed to you and therefore you can read it, even it we
    didn't
    >     mean to send it to you. However, if the contents of this email
    >     make no sense whatsoever then you probably were not the intended
    >     recipient, or, alternatively, you are a mindless cretin; either
    >     way, you should immediately kill yourself and destroy your
    >     computer (not necessarily in that order). Once you have
    taken this
    >     action, please contact us.. no, sorry, you can't use your
    >     computer, because you just destroyed it, and possibly also
    >     committed suicide afterwards, but I am starting to
    digress...... *

    >     *The originator of this email is not liable for the transmission
    >     of the information contained in this communication. Or are they?
    >     Either way it's a pretty dull legal query and frankly one
    I'm not
    >     going to dwell on. But should you have nothing better to do,
    >     please feel free to ruminate on it, and please pass on any
    >     concrete conclusions should you find them. However, if you pass
    >     them on via email, be sure to include a disclaimer regarding
    >     liability for transmission.*
    >
    >     *In the event that the originator did not send this email to
    you,
    >     then please return it to us and attach a scanned-in picture of
    >     your mother's brother's wife wearing nothing but a kangaroo
    suit,
    >     and we will immediately refund you exactly half of what you paid
    >     for the can of Whiskas you bought when you went to /Pets At
    Home/

To manage subscriptions click here: http://lyris.sunbelt-software.com/read/my_forums/ or send an email to listmana...@lyris.sunbeltsoftware.com <mailto:listmana...@lyris.sunbeltsoftware.com>