I just did one but just used the MS docs. I didn't actually go all the way with it. Got most everything migrated then broke the sbcore.exe service on the SBS2003 machine so I could leave the old machine up and not move all the printers, scan to SMB folders, and antivirus software. The machine was still good for those light duty activities and it simplified everything and saved the client some money.

Bill

Jonathan Link wrote:
Not by much. I used the SBSMigration swing kit to swing to new hardware a while back. I could've done everything in it manually, certainly. The ~$200 for me was well worth it to put all the pieces of information together in one spot. Saying I used this tool for this reason and then how you used it is an entirely reasonable topic to blog about. Yes, all the information out there is freely available. Is it worth spending some money to 1) put it all in one place and 2) highlight some common points of trouble[1]. [1] I had one of those common points of trouble. It was nice having something in hand instead of googling for it hoping someone else had tread the path I was walking...

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM, David Lum <david....@nwea.org <mailto:david....@nwea.org>> wrote:

    Sure, but it would look a lot like this:

    Step 1: Buy a kit from SBSMigration.com

    Step 2: The end

    That _/might/_ be oversimplifying it J

    Dave

    *From:* James Rankin [mailto:kz2...@googlemail.com
    <mailto:kz2...@googlemail.com>]
    *Sent:* Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:30 AM

    *To:* NT System Admin Issues
    *Subject:* Re: My SBS swing brag

    In keeping with the current fashion, you should definitely write a
    blog post on your migration

    On 13 March 2012 14:01, David Lum <david....@nwea.org
    <mailto:david....@nwea.org>> wrote:

    So, I successfully swung a small (17 employee law fim) client from
    SBS2003 to SBS2011 this weekend, went off with exactly one caveat:
    iPhone users had to delete, reboot, then recreate the Exchange
    accounts on their phones. That was it! Needless to say the client
    is very happy, and most employee’s hardly noticed a thing (other
    than I was onsite all day yesterday, which had never happened
    before ;-).

    Convert everyone from Exchange 2003->Exchange 2010: Check
    Convert domain controller to SBS2011 (aka2008R2): Check
    Convert LexisNexis application from SQL2005 – SQL2008R2: Check
    <Upgrade from PracticeAdvantage 10 to PA 11: Check!>

    Move printers from 2003 32-bit server to SBS2011 64-bit server:
    check (this went easier than expected)
    Recreate shared folders and perms: check
    Copy all data to new server (did you know there’s a utility for
    2008 R2 to restore from .BKF files?): Check
    Reconfig home directories from share-per-user to single
    share/ABE/SBS2011 default locations: Check

    Worthy to note that SBS2011 really encourages you (er, me) to not
    treat SBS like just a small domain with Exchange. Pretty slick OS too.

    I could NOT have done it without the SBSSwing kit, there are so
    many little things that Jeff’s team has figured out. I don’t have
    any current certs, but I passed that test! W00t!

    *David Lum*

    Systems Engineer // NWEA^TM
    Office 503.548.5229 <tel:503.548.5229> //* *Cell (voice/text)
    503.267.9764 <tel:503.267.9764>

    <mailto:listmana...@lyris.sunbeltsoftware.com>
    with the body: unsubscribe ntsysadmin

-- "On two occasions...I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you
    put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come
    out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of
    ideas that could provoke such a question."

    ****** IMPORTANT INFORMATION/DISCLAIMER *****

    This document should be read only by those persons to whom it is
    addressed. If you have received this message it was obviously
    addressed to you and therefore you can read it, even it we didn't
    mean to send it to you. However, if the contents of this email
    make no sense whatsoever then you probably were not the intended
    recipient, or, alternatively, you are a mindless cretin; either
    way, you should immediately kill yourself and destroy your
    computer (not necessarily in that order). Once you have taken this
    action, please contact us.. no, sorry, you can't use your
    computer, because you just destroyed it, and possibly also
    committed suicide afterwards, but I am starting to digress...... *

    *The originator of this email is not liable for the transmission
    of the information contained in this communication. Or are they?
    Either way it's a pretty dull legal query and frankly one I'm not
    going to dwell on. But should you have nothing better to do,
    please feel free to ruminate on it, and please pass on any
    concrete conclusions should you find them. However, if you pass
    them on via email, be sure to include a disclaimer regarding
    liability for transmission.*

    *In the event that the originator did not send this email to you,
    then please return it to us and attach a scanned-in picture of
    your mother's brother's wife wearing nothing but a kangaroo suit,
    and we will immediately refund you exactly half of what you paid
    for the can of Whiskas you bought when you went to /Pets At Home/
    yesterday. *

    *We take no responsibility for non-receipt of this email because
    we are running Exchange 5.5 and everyone knows how glitchy that
    can be. In the event that you do get this message then please note
    that we take no responsibility for that either. Nor will we accept
    any liability, tacit or implied, for any damage you may or may not
    incur as a result of receiving, or not, as the case may be, from
    time to time, notwithstanding all liabilities implied or
    otherwise, ummm, hell, where was I...umm, no matter what happens,
    it is NOT, and NEVER WILL BE, OUR FAULT! *

    *The comments and opinions expressed herein are my own and NOT
    those of my employer, who, if he knew I was sending emails and
    surfing the seamier side of the Internet, would cut off my manhood
    and feed it to me for afternoon tea. *

To manage subscriptions click here: http://lyris.sunbelt-software.com/read/my_forums/ or send an email to listmana...@lyris.sunbeltsoftware.com <mailto:listmana...@lyris.sunbeltsoftware.com>