I use a regular old dial guage.  It probably is different at the grate.
But I'm used to cooking with the temp at that level now, regardless of what
I'm doing.  (e.g. roasting a chicken).  So to change now would almost be a
new learning curve.  Wait, that would just be an excuse to cook more, so, I
might just have to use that as an excuse.

I don't worry about temp spikes.  I smoke on a ceramic smoker and once you
get it dialed in, it pretty much will keep that temp until it runs out of
fuel.  I once did a brisket and wanted to burn all the fuel so I could give
it a good cleaning.  I just let the thring go.  It ran 26 hours at 240
without me touching the fire or making any adjustments.  Obviously the
brisket came out much earlier.  I have a Kamado, which is basically a Green
Egg with a fancy tile job.

http://www.komodokamado.com/  (mine is pictured on there somewhere, but I'm
too lazy to go through all the pics)