to that end, there are some decent i5 and i7 based notebook computers that
can be used for VM hosting, relatively quietly, relatively low heat, etc.
For work I have an HP with 8GB RAM and a Core i7 cpu, and often run
variations of VMware, Virtual PC, and Virtual Box for QA and customer demo
purposes.  works just fine.  Would I want to use it as a 24x7 host for an
enterprise, of course not.

That said,  there should be some refurb and off lease for a decent price

<<image001.jpg>>