An example of using whitelisting technologies in the enterprise

http://appsensebigot.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/replacing-your-antivirus-software-with.html

On 16 April 2012 12:46, Ziots, Edward <ezi...@lifespan.org> wrote:

> One of the things I see mentioned below is the malicious browser based
> attacks ( BHO's, Malicious JavaScript, etc etc) and that is one area of
> weakness I see in the whitelisting solution. Other than that I agree it’s
> the right way to go. Being on the other side of "Blacklisting", HIPS etc
> etc, it is a diminishing return over time when you have to write rule after
> rule to allow software to do things that aren't good coding practices, or
> worse, just to get the software to run.
>
> The other thing I would feel might be a weakness in the whitelisting
> solution, is if I allow a piece of software to run, and that software runs
> as a service and that service is remotely exploitable, than I can usurp the
> computer or any computer running that software, because I have exploited a
> trusted process. Again how can the whitelisting solution protect you from
> what you already have trusted if its flawed. Again layers of defense is
> still a valid argument here..

> Edward Ziots
> CISSP, Security +, Network +
> Security Engineer
> Lifespan Organization
> ezi...@lifespan.org

IMPORTANT INFORMATION/DISCLAIMER

I certainly don't have time to monitor the content of e-mail sent and
received via this account for the purposes of ensuring compliance with
anyone's policies and procedures. I am pretty sure that somewhere in UK
legislation there is some politically-correct drivel that stipulates I must
never send or store e-mails or attachments that are obscene, indecent,
sexist, racist, defamatory, abusive, in breach of copyright, encrypted,
amusing, overly long, slightly opinionated, anonymous, likely to harm
animals or hurt the feelings of an as-yet-unspecified or as-yet-nonexistent
minority (such as extraterrestrial eggplants). Emails of this nature sent
in or out of this account may be intercepted and stopped by the system, but
it's a long shot. This being the UK, even if I was prosecuted for breach of
said email guidelines, I'd probably walk with a suspended sentence anyway,
but if I'd forgotten to pay my car insurance, I'd most certainly be hung,
drawn and quartered.

I am not responsible for any changes made to the message after it has been
sent, in more or less the same way that cyclozine manufacturers aren't
responsible for drug addicts mixing it with methadone and overdosing, so
I'm glad I cleared the confusion up there nice and early. Where opinions
are expressed, they are not necessarily mine. However, I don't make a habit
of expressing other people's opinions for them, so you shouldn't take that
statement as an indication that I am in the business of providing an
opinion-expressing service. In the event that I did, this discourse would
provide no guarantee that I would do it anyway, but I don't, so I won't.

If you are not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for
delivering it to them, aside from the fact that you've clearly got some
level of unauthorised access to their account or are at least engaged in
some sort of fraud, I'm obliged to tell you that may not copy, forward
disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any way. To do so may be
unlawful, and as you're already breaking the law, I am sure that bombshell
makes you quake in your boots and turn yourself over to law enforcement
immediately. If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please advise the
sender immediately. That would be me, and as I am clearly prone to sending
emails to completely the wrong person, I should instantly be stripped of my
status as a technical consultant and sent to do something more becoming of
my stupidity, such as appearing on Big Brother, the X Factor or "insert
country name here"'s Got Talent.