 From: David Lum <david....@nwea.org>
To: NT System Admin Issues <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Sent: Friday, June 8, 2012 8:11 AM
Subject: Reality check

A fellow team member (not an SE, but more of an application owner type of tech
person) needs Local Admin access to a server to install and configure a new
application on it. I understand the need and agree with it.

Instead of just throwing his account into the local admin group on that server
I did the following:
Created a LA-<servername> account (LA= Local Admin)
Created a security group called LA-<servername>_LocalAdmin, added the above to
it
Created a GPO to put said security group into local admins on that server

My thinking is
1.       This keeps him from using his daily account to be local admin on the
box
2.       I don’t have an individual assignment on that server

In general, I view putting a user specifically into a server’s local group as
the same as putting a user (instead of a group) into the ACL of an NTFS folder.
If said employee leaves, it’s difficult/tedious to see where they had access TO
so we have no idea where their replacement might need to be added.

However, was that really too much work to give the guy the ability to log in as
local admin?
David Lum
Systems Engineer //NWEATM
Office 503.548.5229//Cell (voice/text) 503.267.9764

~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/>  ~