This is very similar to a situation I experienced the other day.  It's all
in a thread over on the Exchange list ("Exchange 2010 AD Topology service
weirdness").  Unfortunately, I don't have a resolution for you.  In
addition to the Exchange issue, I saw exactly the same thing with slow
logons, slow group policy processing, odd ping behavior, etc.

The only thing I could find that was related to what was going on (and only
partially at that) was the kb article at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2408181.

Good luck.  I hope you get this resolved.