On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Michael B. Smith <mich...@smithcons.com> wrote:
>> Wow - so does that mean that our Congress doesn't have security clearances?
>
> I don’t think they do. I think they have a “need to know” under certain
> circumstances.

  Normally, to (legally) obtain access to most classified information,
one needs both (1) a PCL of the same or higher level as the
Classification of the information, and (2) need-to-know.  Either one
without the other is not sufficient.

  (Some information has further requirements.  These are called
"Caveats".  For example, information may be limited to US citizens
only (we (the US) nominally share classified info with our allies), or
require specific Program or Compartment approvals, or be subject to
Originator Control.)

  But Members of Congress are subject to different rules, not all of
which are well-defined.

-- Ben