On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Richard Stovall <rich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ShoreTel works very well, and is rock solid.  Your experience, however, will
> all depend on the partner you choose for installation, training and ongoing
> support.  Absolutely do your research before choosing one.  Contact current
> customers, etc.  If you have trouble, or your vendor screws up, you
> essentially cannot contact ShoreTel directly for help.  You MUST go through
> your partner/reseller unless you pay ShoreTel for enterprise support.  They
> also have licenses for everything.  Want to enable that cool feature for a
> user?  That'll be another license fee, please.  (OK, I'm exaggerating.  A
> little.)

+1 on all counts - solidity, partner choice and licensing.

As someone else pointed out, the Shoretel paradigm is to have lots of
little pizza boxes handling various tasks - we have two PRIs,
therefore two PRI units. We have lots of analog phones, and a number
of analog boxes to handle them (though some can do both VoIP and
analog - dial down the number of analog units attached, and dial up
the number up IP phones, in a 1:5 ratio. We also have some pure IP
phone units.

There is a Windows server that serves as a voicemail server as well as
a configuration server and bootup manager for the pizza boxes.

There have been some quirks with the older version of the Shoretel
software (client side, which matches versoin on the server) and Win7,
and also with 64bit versions of MS Office 2010. Those might, or might
not, have been cleared up in the newest versions of Shoretel. For us,
it's not a big deal to stick with 32bit MS Office 2010, and solve the
rest of the problems by not integrating the Shoretel client with MS
Office.

Kurt