That's why I name my groups descriptively.

If the group is for read-only access by US staff to the HR directory
in the departments share on the home file server, I name it as
US-HomeDepartmentsHR-RO

If the group is for read-write access by the UK staff to a SQL
database name CustomerProfiles in the machine named CRM01, the name
will be UK-CRM01SQLCustomerProfiles-RW

Does this generate a lot of groups? Likely yes, depending on the
environment. But if the resource needs specific rights granted, then a
specific group is needed.

The good thing about this is that you can then populate those
descriptive groups with the base groups for departments or workgroups,
and when someone moves to a new position, you remove them from their
no longer relevant groups, and add them to the newly relevant groups.
So, for instance, when Ralph in accounting moves from AP to AR, you
remove him from the AP group and add him to the AR group, and he
automatically inherits all of the permissions needed, while losing the
permissions that no longer apply. This also applies to
cross-functional groups, which can be viewed as sort of
meta-departements.

Kurt