On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Michael Leone <oozerd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The good thing about this is that you can then populate those
>> descriptive groups with the base groups for departments or workgroups,
>> and when someone moves to a new position, you remove them from their
>> no longer relevant groups, and add them to the newly relevant groups.
>> So, for instance, when Ralph in accounting moves from AP to AR, you
>> remove him from the AP group and add him to the AR group, and he
>> automatically inherits all of the permissions needed, while losing the
>> permissions that no longer apply. This also applies to
>> cross-functional groups, which can be viewed as sort of
>> meta-departements.
>
> What we also do - we have a group for department members, and a group
> for non-department members who need access to another department's
> files.
>
> So we have "Dept-Finance", and those folks get RWXD access to the
> Finance folder hierarchy. And we have another group "Finance_RO",
> which is used as security to specific sub-folders of Finance, by users
> not in the Finance department but who happen to need access to some
> files in the Finance folder hierarchy (like reports or budget files or
> project status reports, etc)
>
> So everybody gets a "Dept-somewhere", which is assigned via drive
> mappings in a GPO. If you need access into Finance, and you are not a
> member of the Finance dept, you map your own drive letters.
>
> Yeah, I have a whole bunch of groups, effectively at least 2 per
> department - one for department members, one for non-department
> members. Sometimes more, as we have _RWXD and _RO groups, depending,
> etc.

Exactly.

In addition, I have specified on the file server that permissions will
not be applied further down the directory tree than two levels
underneath a share. Thus, on the D: drive on the file server, there is
a share called Departments. Permissions will only be applied to
\\fileserver\Departments\Finance\PublicDocuments or
\\fileserver\Departments\Finance\PrivateDocuments - if a directory
needs different permissions, it gets created as a sibling at that
level, such as \\fileserver\Departments\Finance\ManagerForms.

Saves a lot of headache.

Kurt