*and* I'd recommend checking SMTP relay on internal mail server.  Is
it allowing internal systems to relay smtp traffic instead of smtp
direct ?   Just another loophole that might need to be tightened.

in most cases, *if* internal smtp relay is required, usually limited
to a specific group of 'authorized' systems and not open to entire
internal subnets.