On Feb 5, 2008 3:01 PM, Joe Heaton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone have any useful ideas on how to open a 250MB log file?

  I use LESS.EXE (ported from the land of Unix) for such things.
Seems to work pretty well, although the UI is definitely "old school".
 :-)

  I've been carrying around the tools from http://unxutils.sf.net for
years, and they still work.

> It's a file level log of a backup job, which normally backs up around
> 420,000 files.  There's a discrepancy on the summary report, of
> about 20 files, between what it says it looks at, filters out, and
> actually backs up.

  You could also try tools like FINDSTR (native) or GREP.EXE (again
ported) looking for strings such as "error" or "warning".

-- Ben