On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Miller Bonnie L.
<mille...@mukilteo.wednet.edu> wrote:
> It's been a while since we migrated our systems, and since we went from 32
> bit WS03 R2 to a 64 bit WS08 R2 print cluster with a new name, I didn't use
> printbrm at the time.  That being said, I've used printbrm to do exports of
> our config and it doesn't restore everything well to another box, like you've
> experienced, but it's also been a while since I've tried using it (not
> counting my nightly export scripts).
>
> I think the main issue for us is because of print processors, and in our case
> may be related to a bug where Windows doesn't always delete old processors
> over time - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242394 and since we are using HP
> Universal drivers, it gets complicated at times--you may be in the same boat.
>  I've had to remove the old processors after updating queues on more than one
> occasion.  And, based on some experience I've had from testing removal of
> print processors, I've also seen that if the print processor is not there,
> the queue does not appear at all, like what you are reporting.  But, the
> queue does show in the registry, meaning if you only could load the print
> processor files, it would work.  If you're using HP's UP drivers, I can
> provide more info on the messiness of it--it sort of sounds like that might
> be the scenario.

Yep; it appears to be the print processors. There are a lot more on
the old print server, than on the new one, even though the list of
installed printer drivers (per Printer Management) is the same, even
down to the version numbers. I think what happened is that, in the
past, we would use a model-specific driver. Now we use the universal
driver for PostScript (HP has one, as do Ricoh and Xerox), rather than
a multitude of different drivers.. And I think that uninstalling the
old driver left the print processor behind, and so the printer
continued to use that print processor.

Yeah, I ended up re-creating 24 printers (that's the amount on this
print server that didn't restore). And I have a scheduled task that
uses PrintBRM to save a backup of everything, once a week. Hopefully,
I won't have quite this amount of trouble in the future.

Printing through the new print server all seems to be working. When
the time comes, I will shutdown the old server, re-name and re-IP the
new server, and tell it to publish all it's queues in the directory. I
may see if I can construct a script to do that, rather than manually
modifying each printer to publish in the directory.

Thanks