On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM, Nigel Parker
<nigel.par...@ultraframe.co.uk> wrote:
> Although the desktops have a bronze sticker on the back with the windows
> flag and the words "windows 8"
> I cant find a COA sticker with a key anywhere on the machine inside,
> outside , top bottom

  A unique, unit-specific code is embedded in the firmware (ACPI
BIOS).  You don't get a Certificate of Authenticity or Product Ley.
Microsoft is "encouraging" their large OEMs (like Dell) to do this.
Toshiba laptop I just bought is the same way.

  I've seen claims that if the motherboard is replaced, the OEM is
supposed to provide a printed card with a new Product Key, to allow
the existing install to continue to be used.  Haven't confirmed that
with a reliable source yet.

  I don't know what happens if you try to use a "generic" OEM disc to
do a "clean install" (i.e., without vendor shovelware) in such cases.

-- Ben