Each generation of Windows has used a more sophisticated way of seamlessly
installing on a branded machine. The setup process has always stopped at the
key setup part and queried the machine before moving on.

With XP it looked at the pre-installed key and then checked the BIOS had a tag
in it to approve it. This was not very sophisticated and HP media would work on
Dell and vice versa.

With Vista/7 there was a certificate pre-installed which had to match the BIOS
or else you would need to use the key on the sticker.

With 7 the installer would only allow certain installs based on the key - i.e.
by little netbook would not allow W7 Enterprise to install on it. This was more
sophisticated and meant that keys wiping of the stickers was not a big deal.

Now on 8 and with the standardisation of the media (i.e. almost the same ISO
for retail, download or upgrade) pulling the key from the BIOS is just another
step in streamlining the process. The only time you should need a key is if you
are reinstalling with a different version - i.e. enterprise - other than that
it's a case of 'adding features' but just entering the key. I have a laptop
which I seem to have really messed up by installing W8 Pro on top of W8 - it's
just not right, it installed and then flipped back to standard. When I entered
the key it upgraded again and properly, but it still isn't right and might need
a rebuild to sort it.

Also the new OEM versions - now called Windows 8 System Builder - you have no
support from Microsoft anymore and cannot use it to upgrade. The Microsoft site
still has very little info on 8 and COA's compared to windows 7 as they are
still talking about physical media, physical COA and the software license.

Mike