From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:20 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: file limitation error

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Chinnery, Paul <pa...@mmcwm.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question, but here goes:
>
> We are storing scanned documents in one folder.  A file conversion
> program being run by one of our vendors is taking scanned documents
> from a Win2K server and putting them into a Win 2008r2 server.  The
> conversion is just to place them in a folder tree that is accessibly by our
> hospital EMR system.
> After placing >1.5 million files in a considerable number of
> directories, and, the program is now generating an error:  Error
> Making Directory -Requested operation could not be comleted due to a file
> system limitation."
> There is no compression of the folder or files (which is one thing
> that could cause that error).
> Is this a call to PSS type of problem?
> Paul Chinnery
> Network Admin
> Memorial Medical Center
> 231.845.2319

Aside from path length, which others have already mentioned, if you have more
than 10k files in a directory things will *really* start to slow down. Whether
this will start to generate the errors you're seeing is unknown to me, but I
wouldn't be surprised.

Just FYI - the Win32 API only supports path lengths of approximately
254 characters (I say approximate because there are some interesting
oddities) - this is different than the native Windows API, which allows for
much longer path lengths, something on the order of 32768 characters, IIRC. For
example, copy.exe and xcopy.exe both use the
Win32 API, whereas robocopy.exe uses the Native API, and will copy (and delete)
those longer names.

Kurt

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and
reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.