That's certainly a major improvement.

And, if all that's happening is that managed machines are initiating
the conversations to the machine in the DMZ, that should be
sufficient, as long as the machine in the DMZ can't initiate
conversations with the production subnets, I'd probably be fairly
comfortable with that. Specifically, WSUS works on that model (though
it doesn't require auth, or AD), and until I stood up DirectAccess, I
thought hard about standing up that for our long-term mobile users.

I'd then be more concerned about host security for the machine in the
DMZ, and wanting to make sure that it's not handing out nastiness to
the managed machines that are talking to it.

Kurt