I was told to interview him only for cultural/team fit, in a separate
and shorter interview, and I had to push to get that.

Manager wanted to be the one who interviewed for technical ability - all alone.

New guy interviewed very well, and I liked him a lot.

Just one more reason why I'm not happy with my manager, and will be
leaving as soon as I find the right job...

Kurt