On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Matthew W. Ross
<mr...@ephrataschools.org> wrote:
>>   Wait for the next Service Pack... er, sorry, wrong vendor.
>
> It's odd: Microsoft is producing fewer and fewer service packs over the years.

  No, they're not.  If anything, they're producing more.  They're just
calling them "Cumulative Updates" and "Update Rollups" and "Feature
Packs" and other names now.

  The party line is that one kind of package is for just fixes and the
other is more for new functionality, but they have said that in the
past about Service Packs, too (and also said the opposite, and changed
their minds, multiple times), and the supposedly smaller updates still
include major changes (e.g., you need a CU for Exchange '10 to work
with Exchange '13, which is kind of a big deal), so as far as I can
tell, nothing's changed.

  It's a standard technique for big companies: "If it doesn't work,
give it a new name.  If it still doesn't work, the new name wasn't
long enough."

-- Ben