From: James Rankin [mailto:kz2...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:54 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Dropsmack Malware C&C via Dropbox

Whitelisting can be a lot of work, if you haven't got a flexible technology.
There are various vendors in the space and some of them take a lot of the
donkey-work out of it for you, whilst still maintaining (as far as I've seen)
decent security. But I totally agree that it's still at the whim of the person
with their fingers on the controls - if the admin allows a bad executable, then
you're in trouble.

That can only be mitigated by belt-and-braces approaches, really, relying on
old-style reactive AV or IDS/IPS or whatever to catch the bad executable that's
somehow bypassed your processes and controls.

There is another load of tech springing up around MDM, MIM, MAM or whatever TLA
you choose to describe it. It's another big set of challenges though. At the
moment I am concentrating on extending the agents I have to MacOS devices
rather than worrying about tablets and mobiles yet. I can avoid some of the
pain at the moment by deploying Windows apps and desktops via Citrix to the
mobile devices rather than letting users manipulate corporate data directly,
but it's something I will no doubt get asked to get involved in sometime in the
future :-)

But it's all so fun keeping up with user trends, isn't it? Maybe if we try
really hard to get on top of the possibilities right now we can approach BYOD
from a security perspective rather than just getting bullied into making it
happen too quickly and having to catch all the security issues while
firefighting :-)

Cheers,

JR
On 16 April 2013 15:36, Ziots, Edward