I'm currently looking at CV vs BUE (I currently use BUE9.1) and I'm looking to accomplish the same thing. Tape is my last location for my data but I want my prod backups to disk first. Why not stage to disk first and then dupe to tape with BUE? Wouldn't you need the same amount of storage to do DPM anyway? Is there something about CV that handles it better than BEU?

- Jer

Tim Vander Kooi wrote:

And for only 1000% of the price!  :-P

*From:* Don Ely [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
*Sent:* Thursday, February 28, 2008 9:09 PM
*To:* NT System Admin Issues
*Subject:* Re: DPM 2007 vs BUE/Commvault/etc ?

CV can do the same as DPM and probably better...

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Roger Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

We're in the middle of a evaluation of BUE12 and although it works okay,
I'm disappointed that it can only send 1 job at a time to tape.  With
over 2.5 TBs on 25+ servers, it would be great to be able to backup to
disk to minimize the backup window and speed restores, and then archive
to tape as convenient.

It appears switching to Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2007 could
provide significant cost savings for us, perhaps enough to allow moving
to a low-end D2D2T system in the process.

Anyone have comments for/against using DPM rather than conventional
backup packages such as BUE, Commvault, ARCserve, etc.?

TIA...

Roger Wright
Network Administrator
Evatone, Inc.
727.572.7076  x388
____

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because
I hate plants." - A. Whitney Brown