Sorry man, but Shook already trademarked Good Thing back in '83.

From: Eric E Eskam [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 1:33 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: DPM 2007 vs BUE/Commvault/etc ?

"Steve Ens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 02/29/2008 02:14:38 PM:

> DPM uses shadow copy from what I've gleaned...gives you much
> more flexibility when it comes to restores...

Actually, they both provide similar functionality for restores - they
just use different methods to provide it.

Commvault also has much more functionality then DPM - esp. for
non-Microsoft software.  Once again, it comes down to what your
requirements are.  Commvault is an awesome backup system, but it could
be overkill for some folks whereas DPM could be a perfect fit.

If you know what your absolute requirements are, followed by your nice
to have's you can then do an objective match to a products features and
make a cost effective selection.

To do something like that "the right way" generally takes at least a few
weeks of effort - maybe more.  I spent a few months doing analysis for
storage before selecting our solution - so far it was worth the initial
effort.

I know "Planning" is a dirty word to most of us IT Geeks :-) but it
really is a Good Thing (tm).

Eric Eskam
The contents of this message are mine personally and do not reflect any
position of the U.S. Government
"The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange
protein; it rejects it."
-  P. B. Medawar