I've looked at them recently, and saw a lot to like, but they don't
detect plain old brute-force password guessing, and don't support
Microsoft VPN clients.

Do Watchguard, Juniper or any Sonicwall?  I don't know.  I know Cisco
IPS does, in some cases, in theory, but the practice has other issues.

/kenw