On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 6:54 AM, Jon Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Kurt, have you ever had to deal with teachers and writers?  They seem to
> love very long folder and file names, at least mine do.

  A common cause of that here is the Internet Explorer "Favorites"
system.  Since every bookmark is also an on-disk file, and MSIE uses
the page title as the favorite name, you can easily get file names of
over one hundred characters.  Combine that with the user creating a
few levels of folders to organize his or her bookmarks.  Combine that
with roaming profiles on a DFS UNC path.  Suddenly, 1024 characters
isn't enough for everybody.

  For us, it gets reported quickly, because it hits a fixed buffer
length limit in the user profile sync code, causing the user profile
to fail to load.  The user gets logged on with a temporary profile,
and reports all their files are gone.  The error messages indicated in
the logs are vague and misleading, but the ginormous pathname is a big
hint.  (Come to think of it, this hasn't happened in a while.  Maybe
Microsoft fixed it at some point.)

  Windows Explorer also fell apart trying to manage the files, but I
was able to work around that by moving a containing folder (further up
the directory tree) up to a higher level, thus shortening the overall
path length.  Then I could go in and clean things up.

-- Ben