From: Jeremy Young [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2008 11:00 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Server 2003 32bit vs 64bit AD and mem > 4GB

Great responses guys. A Dell engineer confirmed that we'd be fine but hearing it from this group gives me the warm fuzzies.

On the question of why buy 16GB for a box that does nothing but AD? A: We had the money in the budget. Also, I know, at some point, that we'll upgrade to 2008 during the five year lifespan (but currently own Server2003 Std) of this box so I figured it couldn't hurt to try to future proof those boxes. Also, Bill Gates once said no one would need more that 640K and we know how that logic played out : )

Thanks again everyone!!

- Jer

Ken Schaefer wrote:
Either use Windows Server 2003 x86 Enterprise Edition (if you want to see
the extra RAM) or the Windows Server 2003 x64 Standard Edition.
From memory GPMC doesn't run on x64 (But I could be mistaken about that).

No issue with AD itself on x64 - runs fine. Actually you get 4GB per user
mode process (rather than 2GB out of 4GB), so you can sustain a larger AD
.dit/database.
Cheers
Ken