And don't forget that HP switches have a lifetime warranty / support.
Anytime if one goes tits up, they will replace it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Brutsche [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:47 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: GB switches

While I don't agree with the choice of D-Link switches - they're cheap
for a reason and you get what you pay for; the same goes for Linksys and
Netgear - yes I am a snob when it comes to these things - I completely
agree with the sentiment of sticking with 100Mbit from a bandwidth point
of view.

Every single VoIP codec I've seen is rated in terms of *kilobit* per
second - 56kilobit, 64kilobit, etc. Your VoIP server could have a
100Mbit uplink to your network and *never* max it out, even with 100
VoIP phones.

Will you need new switches? That is very likely. VoIP may not use a lot
of bandwidth, but it *does* have a high PPS (packet per second) rate
when compared to traditional LAN applications, and will overwhelm older
switches.

WRT switches: The top 3 switch vendors in the US are Cisco, HP and 3com
for very good reasons. Cisco is *very* good, but new equipment is
obscenely expensive to the point where you can buy an HP and a cold
spare for the price of 1 Cisco.

--

Phil Brutsche
[EMAIL PROTECTED]