To: "NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 8:24 AM
Subject: RE: GB switches

FINALLY - I thought I'd have to hijack my own thread here!  Although I
appreciate knowing that cheap fast ethernet switches have worked for some
folks, it really doesn't answer my question...

I forgot to mention that, yes, we shall be needing POE.

So, back to my dilemma...  We do have a stack of 3 Cisco 10/100 switches.
Although they are managable, it seems we have "lost that ability".  They
are not POE, although we have a little gizmo that sends POE to my desk for
a little "outlet ethernet switch".  The thing about the Catalysts is,
we've never needed to manage them, and they've been "hang 'em in the rack
and forget about them".

We are an incoming call center which handles about 450 veteranary
emergency toxicology cases PER DAY.  At the busy times, we do seem to need
the additional through-put of the Gig switches.

SO, our installers suggest Cisco.  Our IT folks at national headquarters
suggest Extreme Black Diamond.

So, again please, does anyone have any personal experience with both Cisco
and Extreme and could make some recommendations?

Thanks!
Richard McClary, Systems Administrator
ASPCA Knowledge Management
1717 S Philo Rd, Ste 36, Urbana, IL  61802
217-337-9761
http://www.aspca.org