From: John Hornbuckle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:24 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Shutting Down Networks

Our district is in a situation where massive budget cuts are necessary.
One of the things upper management wants to do is to put everyone on a
4-day work week for the two months that school is out for summer. They
envision shutting everything off--including air conditioning--on
Thursdays and leaving it off until Monday mornings.

Each school has one server which is a jack-of-all trades--DC, file, DNS,
DHCP. One site also has a second file/application server.

Server rooms and IDFs aren't on separate cooling systems, so they would
be affected by this. And also, this is Florida. Our NOC, which has its
own A/C system, will remain cooled.

My first reaction was that of course the servers would need to be shut
down on Thursdays and staff off until Monday mornings. The more I
thought about it, I came to feel like the switches in all of the IDFs
will need to be shut down, too, due to heat and humidity. So that means
all servers and all switches at all schools would be shutdown Thursday
night, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, then brought back up on Monday
mornings.

I'm looking for input on the ramifications of this. Obviously, it will
take some time for everything to come back up on Mondays. And while it
shouldn't be so, the reality is that any time you shut down a piece of
equipment there's a chance that it won't come back up or will come up
with a problem. Is there anything else I need to consider? Like any
problems that may come from DCs being offline for extended periods of
time?

John Hornbuckle
MIS Department
Taylor County School District